Thursday 5 September 2013

Review: Daily Planet Bar & Cafe



On Tuesday, my friend J and I ventured out in the rain in search of lunch. I originally wanted to try Miss Kitty's Saloon in Inglewood but I, being the donut I am, didn't realise they weren't open for lunch!  J suggested we hotfoot it over to Daily Planet, the new cafe adjoining Planet Books in Mount Lawley.



Daily Planet is a funky little cafe with all the trappings of typical hipster decor. You know what I mean, graffiti mural, exposed brick, vintage leather booths etc. etc. Personally, I like it! It was cold and miserable outside so we eagerly ordered soups to start and some other goodies to tuck into. Daily Planet also has a very decent wine list with a couple of truly delicious drops on there. 


It wasn't terribly busy when we were there but we did unfortunately have to wait a decent while before we received our meals. Luckily, our food was AMAZING that the wait was soon forgotten. We started off with soup; I had the French Onion with Cheesy Toast ($10) and J had the Chicken Jambalaya ($10). They were just what the doctor ordered for that rain soaked Tuesday. 


I ordered the Pulled Pork Spring Rolls ($10) as a main; these were absolutely to die for! They were filled with huge chunks of tender pulled pork and came with a tangy apple dipping sauce that was fantastic with the rich pork rolls. Definitely recommend!


J ordered the Steak Sandwich ($26...I think) and it came with hand cut french fries and aioli. There was a surprise addition to the sandwich...strawberry jam! Sounds weird but it totally worked. This thing is an absolute monster; despite J's valiant efforts, he just couldn't finish the whole thing. 



After lunch, we decided to meander over to the conveniently attached Planet Books for a bit of a browse. I love this bookstore; I could happily spend hours here.


Daily Planet is a great place to while away a lazy couple of hours over books and food. I've read a few unflattering comments on UrbanSpoon but please don't let that deter you; in spite of a couple of hiccups, it really is lovely! Being right on Beaufort St, there's lots of on street parking, though this will depend on when you go. Otherwise, there's also a small parking lot reserved for Planet patrons behind the venue. Daily Planet is open for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week and dinner Tuesday to Sunday.


Over and out!


Daily Planet on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This